We need fantastic volunteers to make Halifax Pride possible. With that goal in mind, we have partnered with Avalon Sexual Assault Centre and the Province of Nova Scotia to host free training sessions to help us provide safer spaces at all Halifax Pride events.
Although the workshops have been designed with Halifax Pride volunteers in mind, they are open to the general public. Participants can register for one or all three free sessions. These sessions include:
- 2SLGBTQ+ Inclusive Language and Safer Space Principles -
Monday, March 12 | 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
This workshop will familiarize participants with Halifax Pride’s safer spaces policy, safer space efforts, and inclusive 2SLGBTQ+ terminology.
- Project Soundcheck: RECOGNIZE and Address Rape CulturE -
Monday, March 19 | 6:00 pm - 8:45 pm
Facilitated by Avalon Sexual Assault Centre, this workshop will familiarize participants with skills to help ensure safer space at public events. Project Soundcheck gives volunteers and bystanders the tools to recognize and address rape culture at events. The training will give participants a comprehensive overview of sexualized violence, identifying drug facilitated sexual assault, and bystander intervention.
- Active ListeninG -
Monday, April 30 | 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Facilitated by Avalon Sexual Assault Centre, this active-listener training gives participants tangible skills to become better listeners and support people who may be feeling triggered or overwhelmed. The training will touch on several important topics in active listening such as setting personal boundaries, trauma, grounding exercises, the importance of utilizing an anti-oppressive approach, and supporting someone in accessing additional resources.
- All workshops hosted at the Halifax Central Library
- Snacks and drinks provided
- The Halifax Central Library is a wheelchair accessible space.
- Gender neutral washrooms are identified on site.
- ASL interpretation services may be arranged by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of 72 hours prior to the event.
- Those requiring travel assistance may obtain Metro Transit tickets from the organizers at the event.
The Halifax Pride Society recognizes the support of the Province of Nova Scotia. We are pleased to work in partnership with the Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage to offer these skill building workshops for young people and the public.